- Abuse of Children with Intellectual Disability The Arc. Fact sheet about abuse and children with intellectual disabilities.
- Sexual Abuse of Children with Disabilities: A National Snapshot VERA Institute of Justice. Overview of national prevalence and response to sexual abuse against children with disabilities, along with recommendations.
- Statistics on Abuse and Neglect of Children with Disabilities Child Welfare Information Gateway. List of studies about abuse/neglect and children with disabilities.
Signs of Abuse
- Age-Appropriate Sexual Behavior Stop It Now! Tipsheet on common and uncommon sexual behaviors among children by age.
- Common Signs and Symptoms of Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation APD Cares. Physical, emotional, and behavioral signs of abuse in children and adults with disabilities, among other topics.
- If You Suspect a Child is Being Harmed RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). Recognizing and responding to signs of abuse.
- Reading Between the Lines: Understanding the Impact of Sexual AbuseThe Mama Bear Effect. The physical, emotional, and behavioral symptoms of abuse.
- Recognizing Abuse or Neglect Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Reporting Suspected Abuse or Neglect of a Child: A Guide for Professionals.
- Recognizing and Preventing Sexual Abuse Autism Speaks. Signs of sexual abuse in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, how to talk to children, and resources.
- Recognizing Child Abuse: What Parents Should Know Prevent Child Abuse America. Signs of physical, sexual, and emotional abuse and neglect.
- Tip Sheet: Warning Signs of Possible Sexual Abuse in a Child's Behaviors Stop it Now! Behavioral changes that may indicate sexual abuse in children.
- What is Child Abuse and Neglect? Recognizing the Signs and SymptomsChild Welfare Information Gateway. Factsheet.
- Let's Talk: Speaking Up to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse Stop it Now! Guidelines for talking one-on-one to other adults about their behaviors with children that concern you, and next steps to take.
- Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect Child Welfare Information Gateway. Resources on child abuse prevention, protecting children from risk of abuse, and promoting healthy families.
- Ten Ways to Help Prevent Child Abuse Prevent Child Abuse America. 10 tips for preventing child abuse.
- The O.U.R. Children's Safety Project Hands & Voices. Observe, Understand & Respond Children's Safety Project. Resources for parents of children who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing.
- The Risk and Prevention of Maltreatment of Children with DisabilitiesChild Welfare Information Gateway. Bulletin for child welfare professionals covers the scope of the problem, risk factors, and strategies for prevention.
- Who Are the Medically Fragile Children In Our Midst? PowerPoint about risks of neglect in medically fragile children, and making a CPS referral.
- Child Maltreatment Among Children with Disabilities Center for Disease Control. Tips and resources for parents to increase their children's safety.
Responding to Disclosures
- Handling Child Abuse Disclosures Child Help. Tipsheet on responding to abuse disclosures by children.
- If You Suspect a Child is Being Harmed RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). Recognizing, responding to, and reporting child abuse.
- What to do if Your Child Discloses Sexual Abuse National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Guide for parents on responding to their child's disclosure of abuse.
- The Role of Educators in Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse and Neglect U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Child Abuse and Neglect. 76-page manual about identifying, preventing, and responding to abuse and neglect of children in the school system.
- What Should I Do After a Child Tells? Stop it Now! Basic primer about responding to a child's needs after disclosure of abuse.