- Abuse of Children with Intellectual Disabilities The Arc. Fact sheet about abuse and children with intellectual disabilities.
- Sexual Abuse of Children with Disabilities: A National Snapshot VERA Institute of Justice. Overview of national prevalence and response to sexual abuse against children with disabilities, along with recommendations.
Signs of Abuse
- Age-Appropriate Sexual Behavior Stop It Now! Tip sheet on common and uncommon sexual behaviors among children by age.
- Common Signs and Symptoms of Abuse, Neglect, and Exploitation APD Cares. Physical, emotional, and behavioral signs of abuse in children and adults with disabilities, among other topics.
- If You Suspect a Child is Being Harmed RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). Recognizing and responding to signs of abuse.
- Recognizing Abuse or Neglect Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Reporting Suspected Abuse or Neglect of a Child: A Guide for Professionals.
- Recognizing and Preventing Sexual Abuse Autism Speaks. Signs of sexual abuse in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, how to talk to children, and resources.
- Signs and Symptoms of Sexual Abuse The physical and behavioral symptoms of abuse by The Mama Bear Effect.
- Tip Sheet: Warning Signs of Possible Sexual Abuse in a Child's Behaviors Stop it Now! Behavioral changes that may indicate sexual abuse in children.
- What is Child Abuse and Neglect? Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms Child Welfare Information Gateway. Factsheet.
- Let's Talk: Speaking Up to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse Stop it Now! Guidelines for talking one-on-one to other adults about their behaviors with children that concern you, and next steps to take.
- Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect Child Welfare Information Gateway. Resources on child abuse prevention, protecting children from risk of abuse, and promoting healthy families.
- Rock the Talk – Children with Disabilities Tips for increasing safety of children with disabilities by the Mama Bear Effect
- Ten Ways to Help Prevent Child Abuse Prevent Child Abuse America. 10 tips for preventing child abuse.
- The O.U.R. Children's Safety Project Hands & Voices. Observe, Understand & Respond Children's Safety Project. Resources for parents of children who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing.
- The Risk and Prevention of Maltreatment of Children with Disabilities Child Welfare Information Gateway. Bulletin for child welfare professionals covers the scope of the problem, risk factors, and strategies for prevention.
- Who Are the Medically Fragile Children In Our Midst? PowerPoint about risks of neglect in medically fragile children, and making a CPS referral.
- Child Maltreatment Among Children with Disabilities Center for Disease Control. Tips and resources for parents to increase their children's safety.
Responding to Disclosures
- Handling Child Abuse Disclosures Child Help. Tip sheet on responding to abuse disclosures by children.
- If You Suspect a Child is Being Harmed RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). Recognizing, responding to, and reporting child abuse.
- What to do if Your Child Discloses Sexual Abuse National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Guide for parents on responding to their child's disclosure of abuse.
- The Role of Educators in Preventing and Responding to Child Abuse and Neglect U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Child Abuse and Neglect. 76-page manual about identifying, preventing, and responding to abuse and neglect of children in the school system.
- What Should I Do After a Child Tells? Stop it Now! Basic primer about responding to a child's needs after disclosure of abuse.