How Traumatic Events Affect Children
- The Relation Between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Adult Health: Turning Gold into Lead The Permanent Journal. The ground-breaking ACE Study "reveals a powerful relation between our emotional experiences as children and our adult emotional health, physical health, and major causes of mortality in the United States."
- Impact of Complex Trauma National Children's Traumatic Stress Network. Fact sheet on how traumatic events affect children emotionally, cognitively, physically, and behaviorally.
- ACES Too High! News To prevent childhood trauma, pediatricians screen children and their parents for childhood trauma.
Responding to Trauma
- Healing and Support for Children and Parents Stop It Now! Resources and supports for children who have been sexually abused, as well as their parents.
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network Resources for parents, educators, and other service professionals on how to better understand and respond to children who have experienced trauma, including children with disabilities.
- The Road to Recovery: Supporting Children with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Who Have Experienced Trauma National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Toolkit provides an overview for providers on how to work with children and families who are living with intellectual and development disabilities who have experienced trauma.
- Addressing the Trauma Treatment Needs of Children Who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing and the Hearing Children of Deaf Parents National Child Traumatic Stress Network. 77-page white paper on creating collaborative efforts with the Deaf community, providers, and clinicians to facilitate effective treatment to Deaf children and/or families experiencing traumatic stress.
- Facts on Trauma and Deaf Children National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Tips for mainstream clinicians in modifying therapeutic services to Deaf children.
Children with Developmental Disabilities
- Facts on Traumatic Stress and Children with Developmental Disabilities National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Information for therapists and other service providers in working with children with developmental disabilities who have experienced trauma.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- PTSD in Children and Adolescents National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Fact sheet on risk factors, incidence, and treatment of children and adolescents with PTSD.
Trauma & Culture
- Culture and Trauma National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Resources on culture and trauma.
- The Importance of Cultural Competence in Trauma Recovery Women's Consortium. Newsletter article about the need for cultural responsiveness in providing trauma recovery services.
Trauma-Informed Services & Training
- Assessing Trauma-Informed Practice: Lessons Learned from a Trauma Audit Futures Without Violence. Training about trauma-informed environments in juvenile and family courts, as well as online resources.
- Trauma-Informed Care Training Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. Online training to assist families, caregivers, and other social service providers in gaining greater understanding of trauma-informed care and child traumatic stress.
- Healing and Support for Children and Parents Stop It Now! Resources for parents and children after sexual abuse of children with disabilities.
- Coping with the Shock of Intrafamilial Sexual Abuse National Child Traumatic Stress Network. 5-page primer for parents on the effects of family sexual abuse and ways to cope.
- Child Sexual Abuse: Coping with the Emotional Stress of the Legal System National Child Traumatic Stress Network. Fact sheet for parents and guardians on helping children cope with the stress of the legal system.